Yesterday, I was going about my regular Wednesday morning schedule. I had sent No.1 to school. I had just finished babysitting the neighbor. I was feeding No. 2 and getting ready to send her to school. Then, I get an recorded message from the school saying "the school has been locked down." As I'm listening, I look out the window and I noticed that there are 3 or 4 helicopters flying all over the place. Police were everywhere. So, I called the school - who wouldn't give me any details - but I was able to verify that No. 1 was ok. Anyway, the message also said that we should stay inside and keep our doors locked. Long Story Short - here is the article about what happened in my own backyard. :) I've removed the locations from the story.
High-speed chase locks down school, nets several arrests
April 1st, 2009 @ 4:40pm
What started as a routine forgery investigation ended up with the discovery of drugs and stolen credit cards, a high-speed chase, a school lockdown and five arrests.
Assistant Police Chief XXXX says detectives moved in on a motel room at the Day's Inn this morning as part of an investigation into some forged checks. What officers found was one suspect inside, along with numerous credit cards and some drugs. At some point, two other suspects showed up. They didn't like the idea of being arrested and fled back to their car. "They evaded the officers, attempted to strike one of the officers who was attempting to stop them."
That led a chase through XXXX and into XXX. The suspects bailed out of their car near [down the street from my house!]. Police arrested the car's driver, but the passenger got away.
Officers set up a containment area for about an hour as they searched through fields and yards. Nearby XXXXX Elementary School was placed on an external lockdown, meaning no one was allowed to enter or leave the school.
The second suspect was located and taken into custody around 3 p.m., and the school was reopened. "We're still trying to iron out everything, trying to determine who's involved and with what and where. So, this is small investigation will turn into a big one by the time we're done."
Back in XXXX, two more suspects showed up at the motel room. They too were arrested. "It wasn't an in-depth investigation. We were just following up on a simple forgery, and it's kind of evolved."
Needless to say, it was kind-of an eventful day. I'm just glad it wasn't something more serious.
Starry, Starry Night
10 years ago


2 comments:
HOLY COW!!! yeah you could say that gave a little excitement to your town for the day! :) Glad you're all safe and that they got the guys they were looking for.
And thanks for the nice shout-out in your recent post about our visit. You always do a great job hosting us when we come, and i felt like I wanted to pull my weight and help you out so no worries about cleaning! :) It sure was a fun trip. I could do it all over again next month! :) YOu game??? :)
Scary!
Post a Comment