Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Snakes


There is an old Indian Legend that speaks of a young boy who was climbing a mountain. As the boy was walking across the top of the mountain, a terrible storm came. The young boy immediately started to climb down. On his way, he met a snake. The snake asked the boy to pick him up and carry him down the mountain to safety. The boy immediately said that he would not - the boy knew that if he picked up the snake, then it would bite him. The snake promised that he would not bite the boy. He pleaded for his life. The boy had compassion on the snake and picked him up and carried him down the hill. When the boy reached the bottom of the mountain, he carefully placed the snake on the ground. The snake immediately coiled and bit the boy. The boy asked, "why did you bite me?" The snake answered, "You knew what I was when you picked me up."
I think this story can be applied to several different situations in our lives. And, I think we all need to be better at identifying snakes. I think we all can put ourselves in situations where we keep getting hurt. We keep picking up the snake sort to speak. But, you can't change the snake. It is was it is. All you can do is avoid getting bit. As for me, I am making a goal - I will not pick up any more snakes! :) I'm sure that everyone can think of a "snake" in your life. And, I challenge you, too, to not pick up any more snakes!

No comments: